Thursday 18 April 2013

Spring's arrived!


Well, spring seems to have finally arrived, just! What a relief! 

It's been such a long, cold winter, even the tiniest hint of sun is enough to make me want to immediately stop and RUN outside. Today, that's meant dashing in between the raindrops - but I did manage to get a lovely walk in the local park, some gorgeous views of the city from the top of the hill, and some quality bird-watching... (why do birds stand on one-leg?! Ha. Who knows. But it makes me giggle!).
Was really glad I took the time - and felt much better for it too. I find a nice, brisk walk out in the sun (okay, there was a short rain shower too, but lalalalala we'll skip over that) is (nearly) as good as a strong cup of coffee to wake me up! I have now headed to my favourite cafe for the coffee as well (My name is Kai Hoffman. And I am a coffee addict! "Hello, Kai!"...).  


Going from day to day, making my own schedule outside of gigs, I'm always looking for ways to keep motivated. I was searching the other day on the web and found this really fascinating article about positive action, not just thinking (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jun/30/self-help-positive-thinking).  The ideas about confidence and willpower are especially interesting to me, as a performer and also as a teacher.  I often get asked about confidence on stage, speaking to the audience, being up in front of a room full of strangers - and it's all about 'acting as if' (as it talks about in the article). So I've been trying out some of the suggestions, what have you got to lose, right? I suppose the only thing is, remember if you're in a crowd etc., and you're making a fist to try and increase your willpower (so as to avoid buying chocolate, for example) it may come across as aggressive, instead of a massive internal battle between  yourself and your chocolate craving…! There are of course questions of dignity too... but 'acting as if' can also be highly, highly effective!). 

Anyway, going to keep it brief today as I'm just preparing for another short trip - I decided a month or so ago to go ahead and book a flight to see some friends in Germany who I haven't seen in ages and ages, going along with the 'Do It While You Can' principle - I had the days off, and the flight was soooo reasonable… here's hoping the spring weather continues! 

So, wherever you are this weekend, wishing you some sunshine! Do it while you can! 

All the best, 

Kai xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments, minding your P's & Q's :-)